Saturday 1 December 2012

Lazy Post

Wow it's taken me the day that I'm leaving to go overseas to post this lol. Really quick post cos I'm lazy and I can't be be bothered writing more than a few lines of these, partly cos I can't remember what I thought and partly so I can stop piling up my backlog of reviews.

Anyway using the ever efficient tool....bullet points!

  • Watched The Matrix. Yes in all my 20 years I've never watched this sci-fi classic, so I thought it was time.

    Lesson learned: always carry spoon in case of doubts about reality
    It was super fun to spot all the landmarks in Sydney, where it was filmed. I kind of squealed when I saw a Westpac (bank represent!) building hahaha... Awesome idea, excellent execution, cool cyber-punk aesthetic, but a little cheesy at times. Ending felt a bit forced and rushed. 4/5 STARS.
  • Went and saw the highly anticipated Looper at the cinema.

    Man couldn't stop marvelling at the prosthetics used on JGL, wonder if it was weird for Bruce Willis
    I love a well done time travel movie, and love dystopian depictions too! So this was an (almost) A+ in my book. Great thriller atmosphere (FML totally thought I was going to have nightmares at one part). Like The Matrix, let down by the slightly hurried ending. 4/5 STARS.
  • I've only ever seen one short film of Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai, whose luscious cinematography I wanted to experience in a feature length format, so I decided to go with one of his most famous works, In the Mood for Love.

    Um.....guuuuhhhhh, just GUUHHHHH at ALL the imagery. COUPLED with the MUSIC. It's one of those movies that every screen grab can become a trending Tumblr post. Acting was nuanced but very on point by both the gorgeous Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung. I wish I looked good in a cheongsam.... 4.5/5 STARS.
  • Had a good old chill sesh with one of me and my friends' guilty comedy favourites: White Chicks.

    Looks so wrong, yet so right
    I can never understand its low rating on IMDB, but I can't really describe why it makes me laugh without fail every time either. Maybe it's the quotability, almost on par with Mean Girls even (I just checked and Mean Girls is a 6.9 on IMDB!?!?). Maybe I'm just too low-brow. 4.5/5 STARS. (please don't judge me)
  • Decided to further foray into the magical land of Ghibli and gave one of the older ones, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, a go.

    I had already experienced Miyazaki's environmental themes in Princess Mononoke but this was something slightly different. Maybe it's the sci-fi and dystopian elements again that drew me in, reminded me a bit of Akira. NausicaƤ herself was a little lack lustre but other characters made up for it. Dem bugs though....*shudder* 4/5 STARS.
  • So the trailer for Now You See Me came out and it looks AWESOME:

  • Can't help thinking the genre 'Black Fu' doesn't sit right with me, with the release of The Man with the Iron Fists

    1 comment:

    1. Um, I love White Chicks. Critics and film snobs can bash it all they want, but it is a FLAWLESS movie in my mind (XD). And ah, I really need to see Looper. I hear nothing but good things about it. The same goes for In the Mood for Love. It's been a while since I've seen a great Asian film.

      X i x i a ❥ thisisxixia.com

      ReplyDelete